|Milk based dessert, fried and soaked in rose scented sugar syrup.|
Yield...............15 to 18 gulab jamuns
Ingredients for the gulab jamun
- 1 cup Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- 2 tbsp Butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- A pinch of Baking soda
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Mix all the dry ingredients well. Add butter and milk. Knead well and make very small balls.
- When the oil is low-medium hot, fry all the gulab jamuns till golden brown. Keep aside.
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 5 Cardamom pods
- 1 tsp Rose water/essence
- Pinch of Saffron strands
- Few Pistachios
- In a wide and shallow pan, add all the ingredients and boil on a medium-high flame for 5 to 7 min. (Container should be wide enough for the gulab jamuns to expand in double size & to get fully soaked)
- Keep stirring in between and turn off flame when the syrup is slightly thick. Take off the cardamom pods.
- Transfer all the fried gulab jamuns into the syrup. Decorate with Pistachios and keep aside for at-least 2 hours.
- Serve hot or cold. It goes well with vanilla ice-cream too!